St. Luke’s UCC, St. Louis City
The following records from this congregation are available:
Confirmations from 1871 to 1923
StLGS is following state guidelines for privacy wherever possible. Births/baptisms online must be at least one hundred years old; confirmations eighty-six years old; marriages forty-five years old; and deaths fifty years old. Additional indexed data from these records is available; please come to the StLGS office to view it. As privacy limits permit, society volunteers will post additional data online.
Established in 1870; closed in 2010
A group of Evangelical Christians living in what was then the rural Chouteau Valley in the Mill Creek area west of downtown St. Louis organized a new congregation, calling themselves the St. Lucas German Evangelical Church. They built a small brick church on the northeast corner of Scott and Jefferson Avenues, which they dedicated on 18 December 1870.
In 1874, they became a member of the Evangelical Synod of North America, and in 1878, the congregation dedicated a larger church at that same location. The devastating tornado of 1896 heavily damaged their building, but the members rebuilt their church, and, when it reopened in October of that year, they held their first English service.
By the early 1900s, many of the members began moving out of the area. The congregation, faced with declining membership, voted to relocate their church to the Tower Grove neighborhood. They built a hall at 2336 Tennessee Avenue that opened in 1906. They completed construction of a larger church there in 1912.
By 1955, a number of Congregational and Evangelical churches began merging to form the United Church of Christ and members from the Mount Hope Evangelical Church merged with St. Luke’s.
In 2008, the congregation again faced the problems of declining membership and a changing neighborhood. They voted to reorganize as the Garden Light United Church of Christ. Their outreach as an “open and affirming” church served the LGBT community for several years. They shared the site with the Tower Grove Abbey, home of the Stray Dog Theatre in 2008, and, ultimately, the theatre purchased the site when the church closed in 2011.
2336 Tennessee Ave.
Jefferson & Scott
|This church is no longer active.
Location 1877–1906: Scott and Jefferson Avenues, St. Louis, Missouri 63103
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.6259925,-90.2204124 View map
Location 1912–2011: 2336 Tennessee Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri 63104
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.6083046,-90.2394005 View map