Salt Lake City Research Trip
Salt Lake City Research Trip
Enrollment is now open for our 2018 trip.
Join us for our 25th annual trip: 28 October–4 November 2018
Our research trip to Salt Lake City includes the following:
- Preliminary meeting at the StLGS office with the group leaders and other participants and instruction on the library’s website
- Instruction on the library’s website at a free class in August and more about the website at the pre-trip meeting
- Free classes at the StLGS office in September and October on beginning Irish and German genealogy
- Seven nights at the Salt Lake Plaza Hotel adjacent to the Family History Library
- Six full days of research at the world’s largest genealogy library
- Monday orientation tour of the library and surrounding area
- Individual consultations with the group leaders and experts at the library throughout the week
- Transfers and baggage handling between airport and hotel
- Sunday evening group meal and genealogy roundtable on Monday evening
Airfare is NOT included. Feel free to contact society member, Nancy Mettes, a professional travel agent with Travel Leaders, if you need assistance with booking your flights. You can reach Nancy at email@example.com at 314-995-9420 or 800-999-6101.
Also NOT included are
If you are beginning your genealogy research, please contact the group leaders about whether you should consider the trip at this time. Their email is at the bottom of this page.
Family History Library
Each year in the fall, the St. Louis Genealogical Society sponsors a research trip to the Family History Library (FHL) in Salt Lake City. The FHL is the largest genealogical research facility in the world, and our group spends a week enjoying all it has to offer.
Led by experienced genealogists, the week includes a pre-trip meeting about six to eight weeks before the actual trip, an electronic mailing list for participants so they can receive current information, seven nights at the Salt Lake Plaza Hotel adjacent to the Family History Library, six full days of research at the library, an orientation tour of the library and the downtown area, individual research consultations with the group leaders throughout the trip, transfers and baggage handling between the airport and the hotel in Salt Lake City, a welcome evening group meal at the hotel, and a special genealogy meeting Monday evening. StLGS members receive a discounted room rate for the week.
The Family History Library is the world’s largest genealogical research facility. The library is a five-story building in downtown Salt Lake City across the street from Temple Square. Within its walls is a collection of millions of rolls of microfilm, thousands of books, hundreds of computers, and scores of LDS volunteer assistants. During our research week you will work on your own at the FHL, with the assistance of the StLGS tour leaders whenever you request help. For further information on the FHL you may visit the FHL website at familysearch.org.
What Else to do in Salt Lake City
When folks need a break from researching, there is always so much to do in Salt Lake City. The Utah Jazz basketball team plays at the Vivint Smart Home Arena, an easy two block walk (or a free one-station ride on the Utah TRAX). There are concerts across the street at Abravenel Symphony Hall, nearby shopping centers to browse, and, of course, the lovely buildings in Temple Square to view. Day and evening tours are available of nearby Park City. The Utah State Capitol is a short distance away or there are sightseeing tours which include the surrounding area.
When do we Leave? 28 October 2018
Last modified: 06-Apr-2018 13:34