Genealogical Data

The following records from this facility are available:

Admittance records from 1869 to 1940

Inventories from 1869 to 1940

StLGS is following state guidelines for privacy wherever possible. The state says death records should be limited to fifty years or older. Although none of the data in these records exactly fits the guidelines, out of respect for the privacy of people who may still be alive, we are restricting access of more recent information. Additional data from these records is available; please come to the StLGS office to view it. As privacy limits permit, society volunteers will post additional data online.

History

Established in 1869; closed in 2018

Little Sisters of the Poor was a residence established in 1869 by seven nuns from France, who set up a temporary home at Ninth Street and Washington Avenue shortly after they arrived in St. Louis in May of that year. Outgrowing their small quarters rapidly, they bought a home on North Florissant Avenue near Hebert Street and began enlarging it when they could, adding an extra wing and a chapel. By 1900, they were serving 276 elderly and indigent residents, many of whom were Irish immigrants.

The group built a second facility at 3400 South Grand, laying the cornerstone in September 1902. That home eventually was closed in 1974. (Please note: The records held by StLGS are for the northside facility only; records from the southside building may be available by contacting Sister Gonzague at 847-358-5700.)

In 1969, they began building a new structure on the same grounds but to the west. They moved into that space in 1971. The new facility was remodeled in 1993 and again the following year, when they added another fifteen apartments.

Although there were thousands of nuns through the 1960s, by the start of the twenty-first century, their numbers had dwindled to just a few hundred. By April of 2016, there were just eight nuns at the Little Sisters of the Poor home trying to run a staff of 125 lay people, eighty-eight elderly residents, and additional local people who came daily for activities. The nuns announced they would have to close the facility. They were able to receive some donations and work with a company that specializes in finding new managers and merging businesses, but that did not last, and, in late 2018, the home was closed.

Address: 3225 North Florissant Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri 63107-3521

Telephone: 314-421-6022

Website: http://www.littlesistersofthepoorstlouis.org/

Sign BlockMarker Sign
Photo © 2018 Ilene K. Murray
(Used with permission)

Main Building3225 N. Florissant Ave.
Photo © 2018 Ilene K. Murray
(Used with permission)

Location 1869–1870: Ninth and Washington Streets, St. Louis, Missouri 63101
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.6309151,-90.194898 View Map

Location 1870–1971: North Florissant and Hebert Streets, St. Louis, Missouri 63107
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.6549869,-90.2046414 View Map

Location 1971–2018: 3225 North Florissant Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri 63108
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.6561646,-90.2068061 View Map


Last Modified: 25-Oct-2018 11:08