First Congregational Church of Webster Groves UCC
The following indexes and records from this congregation are available:
We thank StLGS member, Bob Moody, for obtaining the records and indexing them.
StLGS is following state guidelines for privacy wherever possible. Births/baptisms online must be at least one hundred years old; confirmations eighty-six years old; marriages forty-five years old; and deaths fifty years old. Additional indexed data from these records may be available; please come to the StLGS office to view it. As privacy limits permit, society volunteers will post additional data online.
Photo by Phil Klasslin © 2011 (Used with permission)
Established 1866; still active in 2018
By the mid-1860s, Webster Groves was home to several families of New England transplants, who, lacking their own Congregational church, were attending services at the Rock Hill Presbyterian Church. When the Rock Hill church made plans for expansion, the Webster Groves group decided it was time to form its own Congregational church.
On 31 January 1866, ten people signed a Covenant joining them together as a Christian community and invited other interested people to work with them to form a new church called the First Congregational Church of Webster Groves. Also emerging from the original Rock Hill congregation was the Webster Groves Presbyterian Church in March 1866 and the groundwork for the First Baptist Church in Webster Groves was begun in April of that year.
In 1871, the congregation constructed a stone building at Lockwood and Elm Avenues in Webster Groves. They added a large sanctuary in 1893 to accommodate their growing congregation.
In 1922, 1929, and 1956, buildings were added to the 1893 structure. A new sanctuary was completed in 1993, replacing the older sanctuary and the 1922 addition.
Address: 10 West Lockwood Avenue, Webster Groves, Missouri 63119
Phone Number: 314-962-0475
GPS (Lat., Long.): 38.5923429, -90.3577017 View Map
Last modified: 11-Jan-2022 13:44