St. Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church
The following indexes and/or records from this congregation are available:
Please note: Records prior to 1860 are currently missing.
StLGS is following state guidelines for privacy wherever possible. Births/baptisms online must be at least one hundred years old; confirmations eighty-six years old; marriages forty-five years old; and deaths fifty years old. Additional indexed data from these records may be available; please come to the StLGS office to view it. As privacy limits permit, society volunteers will post additional data online.
Established: circa 1859
St. Trinity Lutheran Church
Photo from Landmarks Association
By the mid-nineteenth century, the German Lutheran families living in the far south of St. Louis, an area then known as Carondelet, felt the need to establish a church and a school within their neighborhood. On 20 June 1859, five men met to begin to organize a congregation. They called themselves “The First Evangelical Lutheran Church of Carondelet” and with money they had collected, they purchased a plot of ground on which to build. By the end of the year, they had constructed and dedicated a church.
In 1861, the congregation officially joined the Missouri Synod of the Lutheran church. The school they had opened was thriving and a second teacher was hired. The congregation outgrew their church by 1872 and laid a cornerstone for a new building in September of that year. Prior to the start of construction, the church was incorporated as the Evangelical Lutheran St. Trinity Church. Ironically, that was an error in translation. The original German was “Heilige Dreieinigkeit,” meant to be Holy Trinity, not Saint.
It was not until 1911 that the first English service was held, first once a month and then, during the 1920s, twice.
The school experienced overcrowding in 1892, leading to the erection of a new building on Vermont Avenue. In 1923, a fire caused enough damage to force closure of the school and led to the construction of a new school on Koeln Avenue. Due to a dwindling enrollment, the school closed in 1976, and the site now serves as the parish building.
Address: 7404 Vermont Ave., St. Louis, Missouri 63111
Telephone number: 314-353-3276
No website at present
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.551705, -90.261275 View Map
For access to St. Trinity Lutheran Cemetery, click here.