Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Florissant
The following records from this congregation are available:
Information about these members was first published in the 1997 St. Louis Genealogical Society Quarterly, volume 30, number 3, page 76.
Established 1866; still active in 2016
German families living in Florissant, Missouri, asked for permission to found a German-speaking Catholic parish in 1866. They received permission and established the Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus on a two and a half acre plot in Florissant. They built a school first, on the corner of Jefferson and St. Louis Streets, which also housed the Sisters of St. Joseph convent.
Rhonda Chapman © 2011 (Used with permission)
They laid the cornerstone for their church in June of 1866 and completed the building in September 1867. In 1877, the Sisters of St. Joseph were replaced by the Sisters of the Most Precious Blood.
By 1889, the congregation had built a new school on the corner of St. Denis and Jefferson. The convent continued to use the old school building. In 1892, the old church, which by then was in bad condition, was torn down and rebuilt. Only the steeple remained. The new church was completed in November 1893. The interior of the church was redone in 1958 and again in the early twenty-first century.
Address: 751 North Jefferson Street, Florissant, Missouri 63031
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.7948828,-90.3282407 View Map
Sacred Heart has a cemetery and mausoleum located at 980 Graham Road in Florissant.