St. Matthew UCC
(ESNA—Evangelical Synod of North America)
The following indexes and records from this congregation are available:
StLGS is following state guidelines for privacy wherever possible. Births/baptisms online must be at least one hundred years old; confirmations eighty-six years old; marriages forty-five years old; and deaths fifty years old. Additional indexed data from these records may be available; please come to the StLGS office to view it. As privacy limits permit, society volunteers will post additional data online.
Established: 1876; closed in 2014
In 1875, Rev. H. Braschler helped establish a new church for members of St. Marcus German Evangelical Church who lived some distance away in South St. Louis. These members purchased a lot at Seventh and Cave Street and began construction of a new church near the Lemp Brewery. They dedicated the church on 5 March 1876.
In 1886, the church purchased land near Benton Park to build a larger church at Jefferson Avenue and Potomac Street. They dedicated that church in 1889. In 1943, the members became part of the Evangelical and Reformed congregation, which became the United Church of Christ in 1957. St. Matthew Church closed in November 2014.
Location A: Seventh and Cave St., St. Louis, Missouri
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.592731, -90.214121 View Map
St. Matthew UCC on Potomac
Photo courtesy of Eden Theological Seminary Archives
St. Matthew Church 7th & Cave
Photo by Karl Bloomberg
Location B: 2613 Potomac St., St. Louis, Missouri 63118
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.591591, -90.225995 View Map
In 1878, the church laid out their first cemetery in the southern part of the city at Bates and Morganford Road. They purchased additional land to expand the cemetery by 1892. The cemetery now extends from Bates Street to Federer Street to the south.
Click here for access to St. Matthew Evangelical Cemetery.