Memorial Congregational UCC
The following records from this congregation are available:
StLGS is following state guidelines for privacy wherever possible. Births/baptisms online must be at least one hundred years old; confirmations eighty-six years old; marriages forty-five years old; and deaths fifty years old. Additional data from these records is available; please come to the StLGS office to view it. As privacy limits permit, society volunteers will post additional data online.
Photo © 2011 Landmarks Association
(Used with permission)
Established in 1882; closed in 1997
Founded in 1882 as the Cheltenham Congregational Church, their first frame building was situated on West Park Avenue between Sublette and Pierce in St. Louis City. In 1886, they renamed themselves Memorial Congregational in memory of a former pastor of Pilgrim Church, Dr. Constans Goodell, who had taken interest in their work.
Their next location was at Sulphur Avenue and Way Street, and, finally, in 1911, they built a new church at the corner of Victoria Avenue and Graham Street in the Dogtown neighborhood of St. Louis. They moved into their new church in June of 1912 and remained there until they closed in 1998.
Location 1882–1888: West Park Avenue (between Sublette and Pierce), St. Louis, Missouri 63110
Location 1904–1911: 1510 Sulphur Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri 63110
Location 1911–1998: 6234 Victoria, St. Louis, Missouri 63139