Scruggs Memorial United Methodist Church
The following records from this congregation are available:
StLGS is following state guidelines for privacy wherever possible. Births/baptisms online must be at least one hundred years old; marriages forty-five years old; and deaths fifty years old. Additional data from these records is available; please come to the StLGS office to view it. As privacy limits permit, society volunteers will post additional data online.
Established in 1877
In 1872, a Methodist Sunday school began at 3700 Page Avenue. As the number of students grew, a Methodist society began and in 1877, this new congregation began construction of a church on the southeast corner of Cook and Spring Avenues. Richard M. Scruggs, the department store magnate, had been superintendent of the school, and financed the new building. It was officially named the Cook Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church when it was opened in 1885.
The church was renamed after Mr. Scruggs in 1907, becoming the Richard M. Scruggs Memorial Episcopal Church, South. In 1925, the Cook Avenue church was sold to the African Methodist Church. They continue to worship in this building, now calling themselves the Scruggs Memorial Christian Methodist Episcopal (CME) Church. The small original congregation combined with the Grand Avenue Methodist Church as the Scruggs Memorial United Methodist Church and moved to 3446 Grace Avenue.
For a time, the congregation merged with Murchison, but after a few years, they resumed worshiping at the Cook Avenue location and are active once again.
Location 1877–1885: 3700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri 63133
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.6713729, -90.2972098 View Map
Location 1885–1929 (and again from the early 2000s to the present): 3680 Cook Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri 63113
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.6458341, -90.2329064 View Map
Location 1929–1998: 3443 Grace Avenue, (now 3646 Fairview Avenue) St. Louis, Missouri 63116
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.5950358, -90.246144 View Map