Centenary United Methodist Church
The following information from this congregation is available:
Indexes to births, marriages, and deaths from this church, from the mid-1880s through the late 1960s, are available online in the History and Genealogy Department at St. Louis County Library Headquarters. Click here to learn more about what is available.
Established in 1839; still active in 2017
Founded in 1839 as part of the Fourth Street Methodist Episcopal Church, the congregation became known as First Methodist Episcopal Church South in 1844 because of a division in the Methodist church over slavery. They rented a chapel at 5th and Pine before building a church in the same location. The building they are using now dates from 1869 and is at the intersection of 16th and Pine (now called Plaza Square).
In 1968, they merged with the Church of the United Brethren to become the Centenary United Methodist Church.
Address: 55 Plaza Square, St. Louis, MO 63103
Location 1839–1844: Fourth and Washington, St. Louis, Missouri 63102
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.6297317,-90.1891968 View Map
Location 1844–1869: 5th (now Broadway) and Pine, St. Louis, Missouri 63102
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.6269654,-90.1915686 View Map
Location 1870–present: 16th and Pine (55 Plaza Square), St. Louis, Missouri 63103
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.6303961,-90.2037022 View Map
55 Plaza Square
The original cemetery for Centenary United Methodist Church was located at 19th and Franklin (now Dr. Martin Luther King Drive) in St. Louis City and called Wesleyan Cemetery. When that cemetery closed in the mid-nineteenth century, the graves were moved westward to Wesleyan Cemetery 2, located in midtown. A third move occurred about 1878 and Wesleyan Cemetery 3 opened in University City at Hanley and Olive.
For access to Wesleyan cemetery, click here.
Last Modified: 14-Dec-2017 10:58