St. Johns Lutheran Church, St. Louis City
The following indexes and/or records from this congregation are available:
Information about these baptisms, burials and marriages was first published in the St. Louis Genealogical Society Quarterly, various volumes from 1994 through 2005. See the Baptism and Marriages pages for specific dates.
Opened in 1865; still open in 2016
Professor August Craemer from Concordia Seminary helped organize a new Lutheran church in an area of southwest St. Louis City called “Minerstown.” The congregation met for three years in a building at Morganford and Tholozan owned by the Holy Innocents Episcopal Church.
Photo by Ilene Kanfer Murray
They purchased a lot and built a small frame church in 1868 at Morganford Road and Chippewa Street. They used the first floor for a school and worshiped in a chapel on the second floor.
The congregation replaced their small frame church with a new larger brick edifice in 1884. They moved their old church to the back of the lot to use as their school. In 1905, the church built a new brick parochial school.
The congregation razed their old church in 1945 and built a new larger church on the same site that they dedicated in 1949.
Address: 3738 Morganford, St. Louis, Missouri 63116
Church website: https://stjohnslutheranstlouis.org/
Location 1865–1868: Morganford and Tholozan, St. Louis, Missouri 63116
Location 1868–present: Morganford and Chippewa (3738 Morgan Ford), St. Louis, Missouri 63116
Last modified: 07-Feb-2018 08:39