Immanuel Lutheran Church, St. Louis
Some microfilmed indexes from this church had previously only been available at St. Louis County Library in the History and Genealogy Department (see below). Now the church has graciously shared records with St. Louis Genealogical Society.
The following records from this congregation are available:
StLGS is following state guidelines for privacy wherever possible. Births/baptisms online must be at least one hundred years old; confirmations eighty-six years old; marriages forty-five years old; and deaths fifty years old. Additional indexed data from some of these records is available; please come to the StLGS office to view it. As privacy limits permit, society volunteers will post additional data online.
St. Louis County Library, History and Genealogy Department, has indexed some of the baptismal and marriage records. The baptisms are from 1848–1909 and the marriages from 1848–1920. The indexes, along with some explanatory material can be found online at the library’s website.
Immanuel Lutheran Church, which was located at 3540 Marcus Ave. in St. Louis, was the second oldest Lutheran church in the St. Louis area. Records date from the mid-1800s and are especially important to those with German Lutheran ancestry.
The church was organized in 1848 as Immanuel’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, U. A. C. (Unaltered Augsburg Confession). Their first pastor, Rev. F. Buenger, served until his death in January 1882. Their second pastor, Rev. Gustavus Wangerin, took charge in August of that year and remained with the congregation well into the early twentieth century.
The first church, built at the corner of Eleventh Street and Franklin Avenue burnt to the bare walls on 9 December 1865. The building was re-roofed and continued to be used until March of 1868, when a new building was ready at the corner of Morgan (now Delmar) and Sixteenth Streets. This was “a noble Gothic edifice of brick” seating 1,500 people. The property included a parish school large enough for 384 students. At that time, the congregation consisted of about 500 people.
In 1920, the congregation built a two-story chapel and school on Marcus Avenue and by 1927, they had laid a cornerstone on the beautiful new building they erected at the corner of Marcus and Lexington Avenues. The building is still in use but the congregation no longer meets there.
Established: 1848; closed in 2012
Location 1848–1868: 11th Street and Franklin Avenue (now Dr. Martin Luther King Drive), St. Louis, Missouri 63101
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.633917, -90.1945073 View Map
Location 1868–1919: 15th Street and Morgan Avenue (now Delmar Boulevard), St. Louis, Missouri 63103
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.6340388, -90.2019971 View Map
Location 1920–1927: 3530 Marcus Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri 63115
Location 1927–2012: 3540 Marcus Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri 63115
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.6717937, -90.2456722 View Map
Immanuel Lutheran Church’s cemetery, located next to the church at 3540 Marcus Avenue, is a historical cemetery established in 1865. Access Immanuel Lutheran Church’s cemetery here.