Christ Lutheran Church
(ELCA—Evangelical Lutheran Church Association)
The following records from this congregation are available:
StLGS is following state guidelines for privacy wherever possible. Births/baptisms online must be at least one hundred years old; confirmations eighty-six years old; marriages forty-five years old; and deaths fifty years old. Additional data from these records is available; please come to the StLGS office to view it. As privacy limits permit, society volunteers will post additional data online.
Established in 1868; closed in 2009
A group of German immigrants organized a mission as a branch of Immanuel Lutheran Church in late 1868, calling themselves Evangelical Lutheran Church. A year later, they joined the Missouri Synod and changed their name to Christ Lutheran. Their first small building, in the same spot at Wilkerson and Bass (now Caroline Street and Theresa Avenue) in which the present church stands, housed both the church and school. In 1884, they built an addition for the school, and in 1887, the present much larger building was erected.
The church held services in German until 1895 when they introduced an English service once a month. Finally, in 1929, when only a few members of the congregation knew German, they switched to conducting services in English. Private services continued in German for a few more years, however, for those who wished to attend.
Due to declining membership, services were discontinued in the early 1990s, but they restarted in 1996. In 2004, Christ Lutheran Church was reclassified as a “mission restart,” but they only remained open for five more years.
Christ Lutheran Church was the mother church for two new congregations. In 1895, a branch school that the church had opened in Rock Springs a few years before became St. Peter’s Lutheran Church. Another outreach, Shaw Mission, opened in 1923, and in 1926, it became Mount Olive Lutheran Church.
Location 1868–present: 3504 Caroline Street, St. Louis, Missouri 63104