Michael West Hannegan was born on 8 November 1934 in Columbia, Missouri, to John Michael Hannegan and Thurley (Williams) Hannegan. Michael’s given name is the same as the middle name of his father and his grandfather Williams.

In 1935, his parents moved to Boonville, Missouri, where his father was on the faculty of Kemper Military School. As the family lived on campus, he quickly became familiar with military school life, and the family told stories of his being able to perform the manual of arms with his toy rifle and to bark out the orders for close order drill. Perhaps that early influence played a role in his later life.

In 1941, the family moved to Ferguson, Missouri, living at 429 Nancy Place. Michael attended public school in Ferguson, until the fall of 1944 when he went to St. Louis Country Day School, graduating in 1952. While at CDS, he participated in football and track. He then attended Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, graduating in 1956. From there he went to the University of Missouri Medical School, graduating in 1960. Michael married Arlene Ann Malecki in 1958. Upon graduation from medical school, he reported to the Presidio of San Francisco and did his residency in pathology at Letterman General Hospital.

From there, he and his family were posted in Nurnberg, Germany, where he was the pathologist for the Army hospital. Following that posting, there were assignments in Washington, D.C. at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, a post-doc fellowship at the University of Missouri, a return to Walter Reed, and then to the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology. He retired from the Army with the rank of colonel in 1982.

Michael West Hannegan
Michael West Hannegan
Photo in the collection of Mary McMillan
Used with permission

From 1982 until 2001, Michael and his wife lived in Chester Springs, Pennsylvania, where he was a partner in a pathology group and also an adjunct professor at the University of Pennsylvania Perlman School of Medicine. He also did some work for Smith Kline Laboratories. His major interest was in blood banking and he performed inspections for the American Association of Blood Banks.

In 2001, Michael and his wife moved to Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, where he enjoyed the book club, couples dinner club, and playing bridge.

Michael died in 2013 and his ashes were interred in Arlington National Cemetery with full military honors.

Submitted by Mary McMillan
March 2018

© 2018, St. Louis Genealogical Society

Return to St. Louis City/County Biographies.

Last Modified: 26-Oct-2018 11:57