Henry Matthew Schulz, 1867–1960
Henry Matthew Schulz, son of John Schulz and Maria Jahn, was born on 27 August 1867 on the Schulz family farm in Sappington and baptized at St. John’s Evangelical Church, Mehlville. His eight years of school likely occurred at the Concord School and/or the German School at St. John’s Evangelical Church. German students often attended public schools first for basic education, then spent a year or more at a German school for religious and German language education.
Henry and his brother, John, began the Schulz Feed Company at Elm and Cedar Avenues in Webster Groves on 18 September 1893. In July 1895, Henry paid $525 for a house located at 236 E. Big Bend Road in the Caspar Yaeger estate.
On Christmas 1895, Henry married Mathilda Friederika Yaeger, daughter of William Yaeger and Caroline Kaiser, at St. Lucas Evangelical Church, Sappington. Daughter Edna was born in the Big Bend house.
By 1909, the Schulz brothers had moved the Feed Company to South Gore and Marshall Place in Webster. Henry and Mathilda purchased a larger home at 60 Marshall Place; daughter Harriet was born there. Mathilda died on 29 March 1916, only forty years old.
Henry Schulz, young and older
Photo in the collection of Carol Whitton
Used with permission
In his leisure, Henry took annual fishing trips on the Gasconade River in Richland, Missouri. About 1923 or 1924 on one such trip, Henry’s right arm rested on the passenger side windowsill when the car skidded and tipped to the right, crushing his hand and forearm. The amputated limb was replaced by an unmovable prosthesis. Unable to drive a left-side steering car, in 1927, he special-ordered the first right-hand drive Pierce-Arrow manufactured for the U.S. market since 1920.
Henry Schulz died at 60 Marshall Place on 2 April 1960, at the age of ninety-two. He was survived by his daughters Edna Straub and Harriet McMillan. After a funeral at the Webster Groves Presbyterian Church, he was buried in the Schulz plot at Oak Hill Cemetery, Kirkwood.
Written by Carol Whitton
Return to St. Louis City/County Biographies.
Last Modified: 25-Oct-2018 22:09