Caspar Heinrich Gaertner, 1802–1866
Caspar Heinrich Gaertner was born on 22 June 1802 in Bielefeld, Westfalen, in what is today Germany, son of Johann Martin Gaertner, born in 1778, and Anne Margarette Niekamps, born on 23 February 1769. Casper, along with his wife and family, immigrated to St. Louis, Missouri, on 23 November 1853 aboard the ship Minerva departing from Bremen, Germany, arriving in New Orleans, Louisiana. Caspar married Hanne Frediederike Buesing on 2 October 1825 in Schildesche. Hanne was born on 31 March 1804 in Schildesche, the daughter of Hernabb Heinrich Buesing Schuermann, born on 8 April 1776, and Anna Marie Ilsabe Hoerner Bockers, born on 20 August 1783.
Children of Caspar Heinrich and Hanne Frediederike (Buesing) Gaertner:
- Frederick William Gaertner, born on 14 January 1826 in Schildesche, died on 30 September 1910 in St. Louis. Frederick married on 9 November 1851, in Schildesche, to Hanne Fredricka Wilheminia Winters, born on 25 August 1824 in Schildesche, died on 19 December 1906 in St. Louis.
- Gottlieb Dietrich Gaertner, born on 25 July 1832, died on 28 July 1832, both in Schildesche.
- Hanna Mary Gaertner, born on 2 April 1834 in Schildesche, died on 6 June 1906 in St. Louis, married on 2 November 1854 in St. Louis to August Bohn, born in January 1853 in Hamburg, Germany, died on 17 June 1894 in St. Louis.
- Gotfried Gaertner, born on 20 September 1837 in Schildesche, died on 5 February 1886, married on 15 January 1861, both in St. Louis, Friedericka Roedeke born on 12 November 1841 in Germany, died on 6 January 1915 in St. Louis.
- Casper Henry Frederick Gaertner, born on 18 February 1841 in Schildesche, died on 19 March 1927 in St. Louis, married on 19 September 1863 in St. Louis, Anna Elisabeth Mary Kuhlmann, who was born on 23 May 1846 in Kirchdornberg, Gutersloh, Westfalen, Germany, died on 11 February 1901 in St. Louis.
- Friedrich Wilhelm Gaertner, born on 25 April 1845, died on 12 June 1848, both in Schildesche.
(Sources for the above essay include church records, passenger lists, and death records.)
Written by Judith K. Sporny
© 2019, St. Louis Genealogical Society
Return to St. Louis City/County Biographies.
Last Modified: 01-Oct-2019 17:21