Fenton, Missouri, Historical Records
Fenton, Missouri, located in southwest St. Louis County, was populated by Native Americans long before white settlers arrived in the late eighteenth/early nineteenth century. Although not incorporated as a town until 1874, the growing village established a ferry crossing the Meramec River and a post office in 1833, and about twenty years later, a local group constructed a toll bridge across the river. The town increased in size as access improved, and by 1955, it was large enough to reincorporate as a fourth-class city with a mayor and other officials. At that time, too, the city expanded in size, annexing an additional 1,500 acres. Today, the city covers about five and a half square miles and supports more than 600 businesses.
The Fenton Historical Society was founded in 1993 as a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization. Their mission is to preserve the history of their community. They established, refurbished, and continue to manage the Fenton History Museum, located in a home built in 1905.
The society has amassed several important collections of historical records that are housed at their museum (1 Church Street, Fenton, Missouri 63026) and are available for researchers to view. For more information on the society, check out their website!
Indexes to Some Historic Records from Fenton
In 2021, the members of the Olde Towne Fenton Chapter of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution began a project to index some of these collections. The indexes include prominent Fenton residents and families and were created by Donna Barnes, Lisa Barnes, Eleanor Gibson, Kathleen Givens (project leader), Mary Kinnaw, Diana Miller, Joyce Rea, and Nora Zimmer. For more information on the Olde Towne Fenton Chapter, see their website.
Both groups have agreed to share the indexes with StLGS and we thank them for their generosity.
Last Modified: 28-Oct-2021 11:21