United Hebrew Cemetery (U02)
Mill Creek Valley
(southwest corner of Pratte Avenue (Jefferson) and 26th Street; today part of the railroad property west of Jefferson and Choteau)
St. Louis, Missouri 63102
United Hebrew Cemetery was opened in 1841 and was used by the Orthodox Jewish community in St. Louis until shortly after the Civil War. In 1867, because of rapid expansion of residential and business development, the city forbade future burials within its limits, and the United Hebrew congregation looked for land in St. Louis County. The new cemetery, called Mount Olive, was in what became University City and was dedicated in 1880. Some graves from the old cemetery were moved to B’Nai El and some to the new Mount Olive Cemetery at that time.
In 1844, A. J. Latz purchased a lot on Pratte Avenue (Jefferson) for a Hebrew Cemetery, which was deeded to the trustees of the society by John Farrell, and was used for burial purposes until 1856, when Mount Olive Cemetery, in Central township, was given to the society by the B’nai Jeshurun congregation, which had purchased it in 1854.
GPS Coordinates: Latitude: 38.62397 Longitude: -90.2203927 Click here for a Google map.
Source of Data for this Cemetery
Data transcribed from sextons’ records in 1987 by StLGS volunteers.
Cemetery Specific Data Notes
Ehrlich, Walter. Zion in the Valley, volume 1. Columbia, Missouri: University of Missouri Press, 1997, 52 and 53.
“St. Louis Hebrew Congregations,” The Jewish Tribune, St. Louis, Missouri, 25 May 1883, Fri, Page 6
Old Cemeteries, St. Louis County, Missouri, volume 4 (St. Louis Genealogical Society: St. Louis, Missouri, 1987), page 162.