New Mount Sinai Cemetery (N04)
|New Mount Sinai Cemetery Association
8430 Gravois Road
St. Louis, Missouri 63123
Burials indexed: 10.495
Photo taken by Carole Googin © 2011; used with permission.
GPS Coordinates: Latitude: 38.5574444444444 Longitude: -90.3054444444444 Click here for a Google map.
New Mt. Sinai Cemetery Association is a non-profit religious corporation providing mausoleum and in-ground burial arrangements for Jews and non-Jewish spouses throughout the St. Louis area. Owned by B’nai El, Shaare Emeth, and Temple Israel, the association was established in 1859.
The original German minutes from 1868 (and an English typescript at the St. Louis Jewish Archives), lists burials and includes identified removals in 1872. A reconstructed single graves book also exists, which gives names and locations beginning with the earliest burials. There is also a death register, indexed by initial, with entries starting in 1853. All but the minutes were microfilmed in 1972, and the American Jewish Archives holds a copy.
Source of Data for this Cemetery
Data transcribed from cemetery records by volunteers from the former Jewish Genealogical Society of St. Louis and from StLGS.
Cemetery Specific Data Notes
“Cemetery Holds Jewish History, North County Journal, 27 October 1995.
“Resting in Peace: Cemetery Holds 150 Years of Jewish History,” South County Journal, 20 October 1996, page 1.
“At Rest Among Gentiles: New Mount Sinai has been Jewish Cemetery Since 1850,” South County Journal, 1 August 2001, page 1.
“Reform Jews will pray at Old but Little-known Cemetery,” St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 6 October 2005, page B4.
“Jewish Cemetery is Named Historic Site,” St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 15 April 2006, page A17.
For more information on B’nai El Congregation, click here.
For more information on Shaare Emeth, click here.
For more information on Temple Israel, click here.