Messiah Lutheran Church
(LCMS—Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)
The following indexes and records from this congregation are available:
Confirmations from 1909 to 1933
StLGS is following state guidelines for privacy wherever possible. Births/baptisms online must be at least one hundred years old; confirmations eighty-six years old; marriages forty-five years old; and deaths fifty years old. Additional data from these records may be available; please come to the StLGS office to view it. As privacy limits permit, society volunteers will post additional data online.
Established 1908; still active in 2016
A group of fourteen Lutherans living in the Tower Grove neighborhood met to organize a new church in 1908. The first pastor was the Reverend William F. Wilk. The congregation held services temporarily in Kleekamp’s Hall on Grand Avenue at Arsenal Street until they had constructed a brick chapel as their first permanent home on the northeast corner of Grand and Pestalozzi Street. They dedicated this building at the end of 1908. Initially they named the church Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Messiah.
To accommodate expanding membership, in 1929, the congregation dedicated a new larger church on the same site. The chapel was razed. The new building faced Grand Avenue instead of Pestalozzi, hence the change in address.
Address: 2846 South Grand Boulevard, St. Louis, Missouri 63118
Telephone No.: 314-772-4474
Location 1908–1929: 3547 Pestalozzi Street, St. Louis, Missouri 63118
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.604637,-90.2436288 View map
Location 1929-: 2846 South Grand Boulevard, St. Louis, Missouri 63118
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.6041469,-90.2407606 View map
Last modified: 11-Jan-2022 14:18