Immanuel Lutheran Church, Olivette
(LCMS—Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)
The original first register for these records was missing when we first contacted this church. Hence, what was online prior to late 2018 was created from a transcribed copy. Now, however, the original book has been located and scanned. When searching for ancestors from 1844 to 1867, be sure to use both sets of records.
Click the links below to access the scanned records. The following records from this congregation are available:
StLGS is following state guidelines for privacy wherever possible. Births/baptisms online must be at least one hundred years old; confirmations eighty-six years old; marriages forty-five years old; and deaths fifty years old. Additional indexed data from these records may be available; please come to the StLGS office to view it. As privacy limits permit, society volunteers will post additional data online.
In 1838 a group of Protestant Germans settled in the area known today as Des Peres, Missouri, to form a joint German Evangelical and Lutheran congregation. Known as the German Evangelical Zion Church, this congregation was established on Manchester Road near Ballas Road in St. Louis County. Their first log cabin was built on that site.
The original Zion Evangelical Church built a second log structure about a mile north of Manchester and Ballas Roads in 1847, and they opened a cemetery for their members, which is now at 1930 Windmoor Place. They continued as a joint congregation until 1849 when the remaining congregants split into two churches, one Evangelical and one Lutheran. The Lutheran church, now called St. Paul’s Lutheran in Des Peres, remained at the Ballas and Manchester site.
The Evangelicals moved further north on Ballas Road to Ballas and Clayton and became the Parkway Zion Evangelical Church, retaining the early records of the former joint congregation.
In 1843, early Lutherans in the Stratmann area of the county (now Creve Coeur), who originally attended the Zion Evangelical Church rather than traveling downtown, split away to form their own church. These Lutherans called themselves the Evangelical Congregation of the Unaltered Augsburg Confession on the Bonhomme Road; they are now Immanuel Lutheran, Olivette. They built a log cabin for their first church and established a cemetery near their church on Warson Road. The congregation built a parsonage by the church which also served as their school. In 1881, the church purchased an acre of land located on Olive Street Road and built a new red brick Gothic-style church. The congregation dedicated the new building in 1883.
Seventy-two years later, in 1960, they replaced the red brick church with a new stone church. The old parsonage on Warson Road continued to be used as a school until 1961. They built a new school addition adjacent to the church on Olive Street Road in 1964. The congregation completed an addition to the church in 1991.
The first church and parsonage on Warson Road were demolished and the land became part of the cemetery. The church still uses their original church cemetery located on Warson Road. There is a cemetery located just to the west of the current church that belongs to St. Paul’s Evangelical Free Church, which is often mistaken for this church’s cemetery.
Established: 1844; still active in 2018
Address: 9733 Olive Street Road, St. Louis, Missouri 63132
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.672881, -90.392112
Immanuel Lutheran Church’s cemetery, located on Warson Road, is a historical cemetery established in 1844 on the grounds of the first church. Access Immanuel Lutheran Church’s cemetery here.