(PCUSA) Presbyterian Church (USA)

Genealogical Data

The following indexes and/or records from this congregation are available:

Baptisms from 1876 to 1915

Marriages from 1852 to 1864 and 1921

Deaths from 1888 to 1958 (scattered years)

StLGS is following state guidelines for privacy wherever possible. Births/baptisms online must be at least one hundred years old; confirmations eighty-six years old; marriages forty-five years old; and deaths fifty years old. Additional indexed data from these records may be available; please come to the StLGS office to view it. As privacy limits permit, society volunteers will post additional data online.


Westminster Presbyterian
Photo © 2011 Karl Bloomberg
(Used with permission)

Established 1844; merged with Trinity Presbyterian in University City, mid-2024

Fifty members from the First Presbyterian Church left in 1844 to form a new church called Washington Avenue Presbyterian Church. They held their first services in a tobacco warehouse on Sixth Street until they completed a church building at Eighth Street and Washington Avenue.

In 1851, the Washington Avenue congregation merged with another established congregation, the Westminster Presbyterian Church, which had been organized in 1848 at Fifth Street (now Broadway) and Locust Street.

In 1853, the Westminster Church merged with a larger church at Eleventh and Pine Streets and this group became known as the Westminster Pine Street Presbyterian Church.

The congregation chose to move further west in 1880. They acquired property near the intersection of Grand and Washington Avenues in midtown St. Louis and took the name Grand Avenue Presbyterian Church. In 1884, they completed a large stone sanctuary that superseded the original chapel at that location.

The congregation moved still further west in 1914, building a church on the southwest corner of Delmar and Union Boulevards. At that time, they reverted to their earlier name of Westminster Presbyterian Church. Their old building on Grand near Washington was first converted into a movie theatre; then, in 1927, the structure was demolished, and in its place, the current Fox Theatre was constructed.

In 1943, the educational wing of the new church was damaged by a fire and restored. In 2024, the congregation made the decision to merge with Trinity Presbyterian in University City. They began to hold joint services in the University City building and put their church on Delmar Boulevard up for sale.

Address: 5300 Delmar Boulevard, St. Louis, MO 63112

Telephone No.: 314-367-0900

Website: http://westminsterstl.org/

1844–1851 (Washington Avenue Presbyterian Church): Eighth and Washington Avenues, St. Louis, Missouri 63101

GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.6306789,-90.193761 View Map

1848–1853 (Westminster Presbyterian Church): Fifth (Broadway) and Locust Streets [NW], St. Louis, Missouri 63102

GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.6284836,-90.1909463 View Map

1851–1882 (Westminster Pine Street Presbyterian Church): Eleventh and Pine Street, St. Louis, Missouri 63101

GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.6285663,-90.1980841 View Map

1880–1914 (Grand Avenue Presbyterian Church): Grand and Washington Avenues, St. Louis, Missouri 63103

GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.6392896,-90.2335592 View Map

1914–Present (Westminster Presbyterian Church): 5300 Delmar Boulevard, St. Louis, Missouri 63112

GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.6524617,-90.276214 View Map

Last modified: 05-Mar-2024 10:52