Ferguson United Methodist Church
The following records from this congregation are available:
StLGS is following state guidelines for privacy wherever possible. Births/baptisms online must be at least one hundred years old; confirmations eighty-six years old; marriages forty-five years old; and deaths fifty years old. Additional data from these records is available; please come to the StLGS office to view it. As privacy limits permit, society volunteers will post that data online.
|Established in 1887; closed in 2008
The Ferguson Methodist Episcopal Church first met in Tiffin Hall in 1886; construction of a church, on the northeast corner of Tiffin Avenue and Clark Street, in Ferguson, began in 1887. In 1912, the church moved just a few blocks northeast to 33 South Florissant Road. However, their building burned down in 1938. The cornerstone of a new church was laid in 1939 with construction completed in 1940. During the 1950s, additional buildings were added to the property.
Unification within the Methodist religion led to name changes, first in 1939, and then, in 1968, the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren merged into Ferguson United Methodist Church.
The congregation continued to use its large complex until 2008. In 2011, the church reopened as Wellspring Methodist Church, serving a predominantly African-American community. Wellspring closed in 2018, and, as of 2019, the property was vacant and for sale.
Location 1887–1912: Tiffin Avenue and Clark Street, St. Louis, Missouri 63135
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.7412065, -90.3067248 View Map
Location 1912–2008: 33 South Florissant Road, St. Louis, Missouri 63135
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.7431089, -90.3071897 View Map