Henry Heier, 1870–1959
Born in March 1870, Henry Heier was delivered to the German Protestant Orphans Home on St. Charles Rock Road at the age of three months. Family lore tells us his parents, originally from California, Missouri, passed away. Henry resided at the Orphans Home until he was required to leave at the mandatory age of sixteen, at which time, he ventured out on his own.
Henry Heier married Bertha Schumacher in 1895, followed by the birth of eight daughters: Julia Hermine (died at seven months), Julie Marie (died at two years), Eunice, Evelyn, Elvera, Edith, Ethel, and Elizabeth.
Henry first became a salesman for Doer & Hackemeier. He then attended embalming school and opened a livery stable at 1615 Lafayette under the name Heier & Wiebush in 1895. The cyclone of 1896 destroyed the stable and business.
Following the cyclone, Henry moved to Shenandoah Avenue opening a livery stable and funeral parlor named Heier Livery. The Book of St. Louisans–1912 includes Henry’s biography. In 1919, Henry moved the funeral parlor to a larger facility on Grand Avenue at Cleveland. Heier Funeral Home remained in operation until 1939 when Henry retired.
Henry served on the St. Louis Public School Board of Education from 1922 until 1929. He served as an active member of the Meridian Lodge, the Orphans Aid Society, and the Liederkranz Society for much of his life.
Bertha (Schumacher) Heier died in 1928. Henry died on 13 August 1959 with burial in Lakewood Cemetery.
Written by Barbara (Bradburn) Larson
© 2016, St. Louis Genealogical Society
Photo in the collection of Barbara (Bradburn) Larson
Return to St. Louis City/County Biographies.
Last Modified: 25-Oct-2018 22:07