Newspapers that served the St. Louis Jewish Community – Past & Present
- Der Vorsteher (The Representative), 1906–1910
Covered the East European immigrant community in great detail. The Library of Congress Hebraic Section, Missouri Historical Society, and St. Louis Jewish Archives all have microfilm copies.
- Der Yiddisher Record or The Jewish Record, 1913–1951
The main long-term chronicler of the non-Reform community. The surviving run begins in 1916 as a Yiddish weekly. Became daily for part of 1927–1928, and then again weekly. An English page introduced by the 1920s was gradually increased to an English section, and by 1946 the paper was entirely in English. Microfilm held by the Missouri Historical Society and St. Louis Jewish Archives.
- The Jewish Free Press, 1885–1887. English-language Reform weekly. The State Historical Society of Missouri has it on microfilm from 6 Mar 1885–25 Nov 1887.
- The Jewish Tribune, 1879–1884. English-language Reform weekly.
The State Historical Society of Missouri has it on microfilm from 29 Aug 1879–17 Jun 1881; 6 Oct 1882–18 Apr 1884.
- Jewish Sentinel, 1868–?
St. Louis Jewish Light ; September 20, 2001, p. 10 indicates this was the first Jewish paper with the first issue published in 1868. Unknown if copies still exist and if they do, where. Does anyone know?
- The Jewish Voice, 1884–early 1920s. English-language Reform weekly.
The State Historical Society of Missouri has it on microfilm from 6 Jan 1888–24 ,26 July 1901–24 Dec 1926.
- The Missouri Jewish Post and Opinion, from 1948 to 199?
A Jewish weekly, strong on local, social, and individual news, including births, engagements, marriages, and death notices, as well as organization promotions and some historical articles. A local supplement to a national section edited in Indianapolis, Indiana. Not known if this paper was microfilmed or where past issues are retained.
- The Modern View, 1901–1943.
An illustrated English-language weekly which chronicled the Reform community and its members (including the charitable and educational establishments). Can be viewed at the Missouri Historical Society, Brodsky Library, and St. Louis Public Library. The State Historical Society of Missouri has it on microfilm; 18 Sep 1902–20 Nov 1903; 3 Jan 1913–6 Sep 1918; 4 Jan 1940–6 May 1943.
- St. Louis Daily Record, from 1890 to present
612 N. 2nd St., St. Louis, MO 63102 314.421.1880
The paper of legal record. St. Louis Public Library and St. Louis County Library have copies of this paper.
- St. Louis Globe Democrat, from 1875–1986
St. Louis Public Library and St. Louis County Library have microfilms. Missouri Historical Society and Mercantile Library might also have copies of the newspaper. Mercantile Library has the Globe‘s morgue (photos and research articles).
- St. Louis Jewish Light, Federation Kopolow Building; email: email@example.com
12 Millstone Campus Dr., St. Louis, MO 63146 314.432.3353
Supported as autonomous constituent agency of the Jewish Federation. It began as a house organ, 1947–1962. It then broadened its coverage, shifted from largely monthly to bi-weekly publication (weekly since 1982). It regularly includes community events, personal milestones, and in recent years a steady flow of historical articles. Microfilm held by the Missouri Historical Society, The State Historical Society of Missouri and the St. Louis County Library. Bound volumes held by the Saul Brodsky Jewish Community Library.
- St. Louis Post Dispatch, from 1878 to present
St. Louis Public Library and St. Louis County Library have microfilms of the paper. Click here to access an index of obituaries created by the St. Louis Public Library. As of January 2022, the indexed obituaries are from 1880–1931, 1942–1945, 1960–1970, January–June 1971, and 1992–2020.
- St. Louis Star-Times, from ? to ?
According to The State Historical Society of Missouri this is a monthly Jewish newspaper in German. The State Historical Society of Missouri has a microfilm of it from Nov 1880–Jan 1881.
- The Watchman Advocate
2111 S. Brentwood Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63144 314.918.1211
Paper of legal record since 1881. Microfilm held by the St. Louis Public Library since 1953. Held also by St. Louis County Library.
Last modified: 22-Jan-2022 10:41