(ESNA—Evangelical Synod of North America)

Genealogical Data

The following indexes and/or records from this congregation are available:

Baptisms from 1895 to 1914

Confirmations from 1878 to 1928

Marriages from 1895 to 1970

Deaths recorded from 1886 to 1965

StLGS is following state guidelines for privacy wherever possible. Births/baptisms online must be at least one hundred years old; confirmations eighty-six years old; marriages forty-five years old; and deaths fifty years old. Additional indexed data from these records may be available; please come to the StLGS office to view it. As privacy limits permit, society volunteers will post additional data online.

History

Established: 1860

Reverend Johannes Friedrich Koewing, pastor of the Zion German Evangelical Church on Ballas Road, helped to establish this congregation. German immigrants founded this congregation in 1860 as the United Evangelical Church of Manchester. They purchased a small, one-room brick building on School Street, now Sulphur Springs Road. They provided a German and English school that met there until the public school started. After the Civil War, the congregation changed their name to St. Johannes Evangelical Church. In 1868 they built a larger, brick church located just south of their cemetery on Sulphur Spring Road.

In 1873 the congregation joined the Evangelical Synod of the West (now Evangelical Synod of North America.) It was not until 1910 that the minister delivered his first sermon in English. In 1927 the church purchased land at the top of the hill on Old Sulphur Spring Road for a new church site with a view of their old church and cemetery. They completed building a new parsonage in 1928. In 1951 the congregation built a new red-brick church there. They razed the old church building in 1952 to make more room for burials in the cemetery. After a merger of congregations in 1957, the church became a member of the United Church of Christ.

Address: 332 Old Sulphur Spring Road, Manchester, Missouri 63121

Telephone: 636-391-6655

Website: St. John UCC Website

Location 1860-1868: 332 Old Sulphur Spring Road, Manchester, Missouri 63121 St. John Evangelical, Manchester

GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.589436, -90.51883 View Map

Location 1868-: 332 Old Sulphur Spring Road, Manchester, Missouri 63121 St. John UCC, Manchester

GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.589436, -90.51883 View Map

St-John UCC Manchester

St. John UCC Manchester

Photos by Donald A Wallace
© 2015 (Used with permission)

Old St John Evangelcal Manchester

Old St. John Evangelical Manchester

Photo from Eden Theological Seminary Archives
(Used with permission)

 


St. John UCC in Manchester has two cemeteries associated with the congregation. In 1860 the St. John Evangelical Cemetery (Old) was established at 258 Old Sulphur Spring Road, next to the first church. The old church building was torn down in 1952 to enlarge the cemetery and a new cemetery section was added at 279 Old Sulphur Spring Road, closer to the new building. This section became known as the (New) St. John United Church of Christ Cemetery.

Click here for access to Old St. John Evangelical Cemetery.

Click here for access to St. John UCC Cemetery.

Last modified: 18-Jan-2022 11:20