Salem Evangelical UCC
[This church is currently called Salem Evangelical Free Church and is no longer affiliated with UCC.]
The following records from this congregation are available:
StLGS is following state guidelines for privacy wherever possible. Births/baptisms online must be at least one hundred years old; confirmations eighty-six years old; marriages forty-five years old; and deaths fifty years old. Additional data from these records is available; please come to the StLGS office to view it. As privacy limits permit, society volunteers will post additional data online.
Established in 1885, still open in 2019
A group of families living in northwest St. Louis City organized a new Evangelical congregation in 1885. Students from Eden Seminary conducted the first services held in a Presbyterian church on Marcus Avenue before the congregation built a new church at Shreve and Margaretta Avenues.
As the congregation continued to grow, they dedicated a larger church in 1898. The following year, the congregation built a parochial school next to their church. By 1912, the church began conducting a service in English once a month. They voted to conduct all services in English in 1920.
The merger of their church in 1957 into United Church of Christ upset the Evangelical members. The congregation had about 800 members by 1955. However, as members began moving out of the neighborhood, the congregation attendance dwindled to just forty members by 1960. The congregation knew that in order to survive they needed to move out of the city. They voted to relocate to serve the area where their former members now were living and purchased a new site at New Halls Ferry Road and Pohlman Roads in Florissant. They dedicated their new church on Christmas day in 1961 and sold their old church site to St. Peter’s AME Church in 1962. The congregation voted in 2003 to join the Evangelical Free Church of America.
Location 1885–1898: Marcus and Margaretta Avenues, St. Louis, Missouri 63115
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.6753873, -90.2447926 View Map
Location 1898–1962: 3932 Shreve Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri 63115
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.6756483,-90.2463228 View Map
Location 1962–Present: 2490 Pohlman Road, Florissant, Missouri 63033
GPS (Latitude, Longitude):@38.7831491,-90.2820635 View Map
2490 Pohlman Road
3932 Shreve Ave.