Concordia Lutheran Church, Kirkwood
The following indexes and/or records from this congregation are available:
StLGS is following state guidelines for privacy wherever possible. Births/baptisms online must be at least one hundred years old; confirmations eighty-six years old; marriages forty-five years old; and deaths fifty years old. Additional indexed data from these records may be available; please come to the StLGS office to view it. As privacy limits permit, society volunteers will post additional data online.
Established: 1874, still open in 2014
The initial frame church on West Madison Street in Kirkwood, just east of Kirkwood Road, was built by Peter Bopp Sr. and some of his sons who were among the church’s first members. The small church adopted the long name of Concordia Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Unaltered Augsburg Confession. They conducted their first parochial school classes for a short period in 1875, but a full school did not begin until 1889. In 1885 the church joined the Missouri Synod of Lutheran churches. In 1896 a split occurred; some members formed a separate congregation, the Peace Congregation. But this group reunited with Concordia in 1923. Concordia purchased a new site at Taylor Avenue and East Clinton Place in 1907 and completed a new building soon thereafter. In 1945 the congregation purchased the present location at Woodbine and Kirkwood Road and construction began. The new church and school opened in 1947. Both old sites were sold and razed in 1979.
Address: 505 S. Kirkwood Road, Kirkwood, Missouri 63122
Church website: www.ckhome.org
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.574022, -90.406958 View Map
| Concordia Lutheran Church
Concordia Lutheran Church & School Sign
Photos by Mike Kausch © 2015 (Used by permission)