George Lynn Lackland, 1789–1872
George Lynn Lackland was born on 5 September 1789 in Montgomery County, Maryland, son of James Lackland (1756–1814) and Catherine Lynn (1756–1801). George died on 28 June 1872 in St. Louis, Missouri. About 1817, George married Eliza Edwards, born in 1794 and died in 1870. George was a slave owner, according to the 1820 Montgomery County, Maryland, census and again on the 1830 census in Ferdinand, St Louis County, where he settled on 400 acres in 1828, after a brief stay in Tennessee. George listed farming as his occupation on the 1850 and 1860 censuses in St. Louis County. George and Eliza are buried in Fee Fee Cemetery.
The property where they lived on Old St. Charles Road shows ownership in 1878 to the heirs of George: sons, James R. Lackland and Wm. H. Lackland; daughters, Emily Pagaud, Ann E. Singleton, and Helen M. Lackland.
Children of George Lynn Lackland and Eliza Edwards:
- Benjamin E. Lackland was born on 2 March 1818 in Montgomery County, Maryland. He died on 28 December 1846 in Santa Fe County, New Mexico. He served as a 2nd lieutenant in the Second Regiment, Missouri Mounted Volunteers, during the Mexican War,
- James Ransom Lackland was born on 8 January 1820 in Rockville, Montgomery County, Maryland. He died on 9 October 1875 in St. Louis City, Missouri. (See separate biography.)
- Anne E. Lackland was born on 17 January 1824 in Montgomery County, Maryland. She died on 6 June 1891 in New Orleans, Louisiana. Anne married Charles Bowie Singleton, son of Seth Singleton and Mathilda Bundick, on 19 December 1850 in St Louis. He was born on 6 March 1817 in Virginia. He died on 28 March 1892 in New Orleans.
- Emily E. Lackland was born in 1826 in Montgomery County, Maryland. She died on 19 May 1886 in New Orleans, Louisiana. She married James Monroe Pagaud, son of James H. Pagaud and Ruth Steiger, on 4 April 1855 in St. Louis. He was born on 4 March 1817 in Norfolk City, Virginia. James died on 16 June 1895 in New Orleans.
- George E. Lackland was born on 21 May 1827 in Tennessee. He died on 15 February 1847 in Santa Fe, New Mexico. He was a 2nd lieutenant in the Missouri Mounted Volunteers.
- William Henry Lackland, was born in 1833, in St Louis County, and died 18 February 1883 in St. Louis City. He entered in the practice of law with his brother James in St. Louis City and was living with his brother’s family in 1860. By 1862, he was the city attorney. He ran for representative in 1872 as a Democrat. He never married.
- Helen Mary Lackland was born in June 1834 in St Louis County and died on 1 May 1920 in Pattonville, St Louis County. She was unmarried and lived on the old family homestead.
(Sources: federal census record, marriage records, William Lyman Thomas, History of St. Louis County, Vol. II, Missouri Digital HeritageSoldiers’ Records: War of 1812–World War I; St Louis City Directory,1865)
Submitted by Patricia A. Andersen
© 2021, St. Louis Genealogical Society
Return to St. Louis City/County Biographies.
Last Modified: 28-Oct-2021 17:01