Casper Henry Frederick Gaertner, 1841–1927
Casper Henry Frederick Gaertner was born on 18 February 1841 in Schildesche, Bielefeld, Westfalen, in what is now Germany, and died on 19 March 1927 in St. Louis. Casper was the son of Caspar Heinrich Gaertner. Young Casper was married on 19 September 1863 in St. Louis to Anna Elisabeth Mary Kuhlmann, born on 23 May 1846, in Kirchdornberg, Gutersloh, Westfalen. She died on 11 February 1901 in St. Louis. Anna was the daughter of Anton Ditrich Kuhlman, born on 21 April 1804, died on 2 February 1846, and Marie Anne Woehrmann, born on 1 May 1802, died on 4 February 1892.
Casper divorced Anna Elizabeth on 23 December 1889 and then was married on 2 July 1891, in St. Louis, to Wilhelmine Rellmann, born on 28 January 1857 in Missouri, died on 11 May 1936 in St. Louis.
Casper Henry was a bricklayer by trade and served in the Union Army as a wagoner in the Second Missouri Light Artillery during the Civil War.
Children born to Casper Henry and Anna Mary (Kuhlman) Gaertner, all born in St. Louis:
- Gotlich Gaertner, born in 1860
- Anna Maria Gaertner, born on 30 April 1864, died on 2 August 1885. She was married in St. Louis on 7 March 1883 to Herman Pielsticker, born on 6 March 1843 in Westfalen, died on 21 October 1917 in St. Louis.
- William Henry Gaertner, born on 31 August 1865, died on 15 April 1916. William married his first wife, Lillie Holmes, on 29 May 1890. Lillie was born on 2 May 1865, died on 13 March 1901, both in St. Louis. William married his second wife, Carrie Pelgree, on 16 May 1901 in St. Louis. Carrie was born in November 1879 in Missouri.
- Henry William Gaertner, born on 12 January 1868, died on 14 December 1911. Henry was married on 16 January 1889 in St. Louis to Katherine Heil, born on 17 December 1869 in Marissa, Illinois, died on 28 April 1938 in St. Louis. Katherine married her second husband on 17 April 1919; he was Joseph H. Schrage, born on 20 December 1868, died on 1 August 1925, both in St Louis.
- Fredrich Casper Gaertner, born on 18 February 1871, died on 27 May 1945. Fredrich married his first wife, Elda White, on 28 August 1901. He married his second wife, Emma Blanche Davis, on 11 May 1908, both in St. Louis. Emma was born on 28 April 1858 in Alton, Illinois, died on 1 February 1941 in St. Louis. Fredrich married his third wife on 6 April 1942 in Clayton, Missouri. Mary E. Dugan was born on 6 October 1865 in Evansville, Indiana, died on 1 December 1950 in St. Louis.
- Otto Edward Gaertner, born on 27 July 1877 and died on 26 February 1929 in Santa Paula, California. Otto married on 25 February 1901 in Clayton, Missouri, Marie Henrietta Schocke, born on 13 March 1878 in St. Louis, died on 15 December 1960 in Ojai, California.
Child born to Casper Henry and Wilhelmine (Rellmann) Gaertner:
- Albert Erwin Gaertner, born on 25 May 1892, was baptized in the Independent Evangelical Protestant Church in St. Louis on 18 March 1895. He died on 3 July 1900 in St. Louis and was buried the following day in Friedens Cemetery.
(Sources for the above essay include church records, passenger lists, Civil War records, census, birth, and death records.)
Written by Judith K Sporny
© 2019, St. Louis Genealogical Society
Return to St. Louis City/County Biographies.
Last Modified: 01-Oct-2019 17:15