Genealogical Data

The following records from this congregation are available:

Baptisms, 1838–1851

This information was printed in the 1978 St. Louis Genealogical Society Quarterly, volume 11, number 2, pages 79–83.

History

Established 1832; still active in 2016

A group of pioneer families received eighty acres of land from the U.S. government to establish a mission church. In August of 1832, the members built a new church and school and established a cemetery at Geyer Road and Monroe Avenue.

St. Peter CatholicPhoto © 2011 Mike Kausch (Used with permission)

In 1853, they sold five acres of the land to be used as a right of way by the new railroad being built in what would become the city of Kirkwood. To be more centrally located to the growing city, the parish built a new stone church and rectory in 1867–68 located on Main Street (now Argonne Drive). The old church site is now part of St. Peter Cemetery. The parish moved their parochial school in 1907 to Main St. (Argonne) and Clay.

They remodeled the exterior of the church and the school in 1922 and the interior of the church again in 1942.

The growing parish built their third and current church in 1951–52 on West Argonne Drive. They completed renovations to the interior of the new church from 2001–2003 and added a gathering space in the front entrance area.

Address: 243 West Argonne Drive, Kirkwood, Missouri 63122

Telephone: 314-966-8600

Website: www.stpeterkirkwood.org/Home.aspx

GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.5816175,-90.4125399 View Map

1832–1867: Geyer Road and Monroe Avenue, Kirkwood, Missouri 63122

GPS (Lat., Long.): 38.578978, -90.416054 View Map

1867–1951: Main Street (now Argonne) and Clay, Kirkwood, Missouri 63122

GPS (Lat., Long.): 38.5813143,-90.410876 View Map

1951–Present (2016): 243 W. Argonne Drive, Kirkwood, Missouri 63122

GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.5816175,-90.4125399 View Map


St. Peter has a cemetery located at 520 West Monroe Avenue in Kirkwood.

Access St. Peter Cemetery here.

Last modified: 01-Jul-2016 12:27