St. Paul’s United Methodist Church
The following records and indexes from this congregation are available:
StLGS is following state guidelines for privacy wherever possible. Births/baptisms online must be at least one hundred years old; marriages forty-five years old; and deaths fifty years old. Additional indexed data from these records is available; please come to the StLGS office to view it. As privacy limits permit, society volunteers will post additional data online.
Established in 1838
The origin of this church was as the Mound Mission of the First Methodist Church South, called the Fourth Street Church, and located, in 1830, at 4th Street and Washington. Services were held in the Washington Chapel on Mullanphy Street near 2nd Street, an intersection that no longer exists. Flooding in 1844 caused the church to move to Broadway near Mound, just a few blocks north but further west of the Mississippi River.
About this same time, the Methodist religion was undergoing changes, due to the issue of slavery, and this church affiliated itself with the Methodist Southern Church. Calling themselves Mound Church, they moved to several locations in the downtown area, beginning at 10th and Chambers Streets, until 1871, when they purchased property at 1927 St. Louis Avenue.
When the church was finished in 1875, it was dedicated as St. Paul’s Church. The congregation rebuilt in 1902, calling themselves St. Paul’s United Methodist, and they remained active until 1984. The building is no longer standing.
Location 1838–1844: Mullanphy near 2nd Street, St. Louis, Missouri 63102 (This intersection no longer exists, as 2nd Street now ends at Cass. Map location shows Mullanphy and 1st.)
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.641233, -90.1847683 View Map
Location 1844–1850: Broadway and Mound, St. Louis, Missouri 63102
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.642242, -90.1860649 View Map
Location 1850–unknown: 10th and Chambers, St. Louis, Missouri 63102
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.64542, -90.1884265 View Map
Location 1875–1984: 1927 St. Louis Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri 63106
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.6508329, -90.2015614 View Map