The Word at Shaw United Methodist
The following index and/or records from this congregation are available:
StLGS is following state guidelines for privacy wherever possible. Births/baptisms online must be at least one hundred years old; confirmations eighty-six years old; marriages forty-five years old; and deaths fifty years old. Additional indexed data from these records may be available; please come to the StLGS office to view it. As privacy limits permit, society volunteers will post additional data online.
Established: 1898, still open in 2016
Photo courtesy of Landmarks Association © 2011
The Epworth League Union established a Methodist mission Sunday school in St. Louis in 1897. In 1898, they purchased and moved into the former Faith Presbyterian Mission at Tower Grove and McRee Avenues. They were first called the Tyler Place Methodist Episcopal Church. Then, in 1905, Samuel Cupples donated property and funds for a new church. The congregation physically moved their small frame church building to the new site at 4261 Shaw Avenue (now Boulevard) in the rural Shaw neighborhood of St. Louis and renamed themselves the Shaw Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
They replaced the building at 4261 Shaw with a new brick church in 1906. Another building was constructed in 1952 at 4265 Shaw Avenue and the name changed to Shaw Avenue United Methodist Church. This church closed in 2004.
Then in 2011, with help from Morning Star Church in O’Fallon, Missouri, the former Shaw Avenue UMC reopened as The Word At Shaw United Methodist Church.
Address: 4265 Shaw Boulevard, St. Louis, Missouri 63110
Location 1898–1905: Tower Grove Ave. and McRee Ave., St. Louis, Missouri 63110
Location 1906–1952: 4261 Shaw Blvd., St. Louis, Missouri 63110
Location 1952–2004: 4265 Shaw Blvd., St. Louis, Missouri 63110
Location 2004–Present: 4265 Shaw Blvd., St. Louis, Missouri 63110
Last modified: 09-Feb-2018 20:12