Cabanne United Methodist Church
The following records from this congregation are available:
StLGS is following state guidelines for privacy wherever possible. Births/baptisms online must be at least one hundred years old; confirmations eighty-six years old; marriages forty-five years old; and deaths fifty years old. Additional data from these records is available; please come to the StLGS office to view it. As privacy limits permit, society volunteers will post additional data online.
Established in 1896; closed in 2003
This congregation began as the Cabanne Methodist Episcopal Church in a rented hall at the corner of Goodfellow Boulevard and Vernon Avenue in St. Louis City. That hall proved too large, however, so they moved to a smaller auditorium on Vernon Avenue at Arcade Avenue (current location undetermined), where they worshiped for several years.
In time, they appealed to the Southern Methodist Church to allow the building of a church in the Cabanne neighborhood. The only Methodist church in the area, St. John’s, was moving west. Those members of St. John’s who remained in the city joined with the small Cabanne congregation to raise $25,000; they subsequently received approval to purchase a lot and begin a building fund. In 1902, their new church, now called Cabanne United Methodist, opened at 5760 Bartmer Avenue, at the corner of Bartmer and Goodfellow. That congregation closed its doors in 2003.
Location 1896–1902: Goodfellow Boulevard and Vernon Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri 63112
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.660028, -90.2880522 View Map
Location 1902–2003: 5760 Bartmer Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri 63112
GPS (Latitude, Longitude): 38.6628311, -90.2874642 View Map