New Coldwater Burying Ground was an African-American cemetery on a half-acre of land purchased in 1886 by several men including ex-slave, Henry Vincent. Mr. Vincent accepted donations ranging from $.25 to $3.00 to cover the cost of the purchase.
The cemetery was active from 1886 until 1949. A preliminary archaeological survey requested from the University of Missouri-St. Louis by the Historical Preservation Committee, indicates there were about 55 graves at this site. However, Bettie (Vincent) Britts, granddaughter of Henry Vincent, stated there were approximately 200 burials at the cemetery. Mrs. Britts stated Henry and Delia Vincent and their children; Edward, George, Theodore, and Frazier are all buried in the cemetery.
Today the site is a Memorial Park Cemetery. Only a few stones were located and those names are listed here.
Roger and Joyce Mercer gathered this information from the rededication program on 24 June 1995. The list first appeared in the 1997 St. Louis Genealogical Society Quarterly, volume 30, number 3, page 85.
|Christy, [unk]||Base Only|
|Crawford, L. Edmond||1883||1931||Husband|
|Hays, William G.||13 Mar 1851||6 Jan 1930|
|Lee, Susie||29 Apr 1917||Age 21 years|
|Odes, Ervin R. H.||12 Feb 1886||His age was 86 more or less|
|Phoenix, McKinley||28 Apr 1933||Missouri Pvt 63 Depot Brig|
|Vincent, Daisy||16 Apr 1877||17 Aug 1946||Mother|
|Vincent, Edward||17 Sep 1875||9 Nov 1949||Father|
|Vincent, Frazier||22 Aug 1882||24 Dec 1963|
St. Louis Genealogical Society · #4 Sunnen Drive, Suite 140 · St. Louis, MO 63143 · 314-647-8547