|Congregations - Past & Present in St. Louis||| Print ||
General information on synagogues in Missouri: http://www.mavensearch.com/synagogues/3322
The first known minyan occurred in St. Louis on September 12, 1836 or the first day of Tishri, in the Jewish year 5597 known as Rosh Hashannah. A room was rented over Max's Grocery and Restaurant, on the corner of Second and Spruce Streets (now occupied by the St. Louis Arch Grounds). On October 3, 1841 the first Jewish congregation, United Hebrew Congregation was formed. The congregation was also known as the Polish Congregation, strictly an Orthodox congregation. First place was rented at Broadway and Locust. Later, moved to the Masonic Hall on First and Market Streets. Initial purposes included the establishment of a cemetery.1
For information about a Congregation, please click on the name of the Congregation. To return to this page, either click on the Tab labelled "Congregations" or click on the link "Return to Congregation Index".
St. Louis Metropolitan Congregations:
1. Ehrlich, Walter; Zion in the Valley : the Jewish Community of St. Louis ; Vol. 1, 1807-1907. Columbia, MO : University of Missouri Press, c1997.
2. City Directories : Kennedy's City Directories (1859-1860), Edwards' City Directories (1864-1867, 1869-1871), Gould and Aldrich's City Directory (1872), and Gould's City Directories (1873-1916, 1920, 1930):
3. St Louis Jewish Light : Guide to Jewish Life, November 2002, p. 10-12.
St. Louis Genealogical Society · #4 Sunnen Drive, Suite 140 · St. Louis, MO 63143 · 314-647-8547